INS ILLA DELS BANYOLS LANGUAGE SUPPORT FOR INCOMING STUDENTS AND STAFF WITH A MINIMUM OF 2-MONTH MOBILITY PERIOD
Foreign language is a central element to ensure success in mobility outcomes such as, student and staff satisfaction, improvement of exam success rate and coping with everyday challenges during mobility. Therefore, our institution’s language support for incoming students and staff is based on a series of actions that aim at facilitating their integration in our everyday academic life.
We believe that language is one of the most inclusive social elements and therefore we have considered the following aspects in terms of language support:
- Our institution offers initial fast-track courses of Spanish and Catalan for Specific Purposes (ESP) so that incoming mobile participants get acquainted with the technical vocabulary and expressions used in class.
- Then, students and staff can attend general language A2 level courses of Spanish and Catalan, including also cultural content. These courses are provided by the Language Department free of charge.
- Also, if needed, students and staff are given full guidance to use the Erasmus OLS (Online Linguistic Support).
- Incoming mobile participants can also benefit from tutorial actions and individualized training programmes provided by different didactic departments.
- The school tutor will help students in class to complete successfully their mobility period.
- The teachers belonging to the Languages Department speak perfect and fluent English and therefore they will be able to provide the incoming students and staff with language support in case they need it. Moreover, many teachers at school who do not teach languages also master English and use it in the classroom following CLIL methodology.